Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Howdy!

Howdy and Welcome!


I figure you're either here because you want to see if I've come up with something new under the sun regarding natural horsemanship, you want to share your own ideas, or you're here to see if I can write as well as I say I can. Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for and I'll look forward to meeting you.


In my opinion, natural horsemanship covers every aspect of horse ownership, every choice you make large and small: choosing your horse and its equipment, training, environment, diet, health care, hoof maintenance, daily life and grooming.


Going natural may mean a complete break from everything you've ever learned about horse ownership. It will likely mean you'll be going against the advice of your peers and it may mean taking a different direction entirely from the way you've enjoyed your horses in the past. It doesn't mean you can't exhibit your horse but it may limit which exhibitions will embrace you and decide which will shun you. Choosing a natural lifestyle for your horse may also mean you will have to defend yourself to less knowledgeable horse owners who insist that all horses must be shod, must cost a fortune to maintain, must be trained with heavy hands and cruel equipment, and will never be totally trustworthy unless they're ridden with bits and spurs, etc etc etc. These are usually the same people that have a hard time understanding the difference in fear and respect, and find it difficult to believe that a horse will obey a person it loves and respects far faster and with more dedication than it will someone who has beaten it into submission.


In the pages ahead, I'll share what I've learned while owning and operating a public stable, maintaining our many horses as naturally as possible. We offer trail rides, pony rides, beginner riding lessons and horse training to help pay the bills for our first love...our rescue horses. Come along and meet my family. Like everyone else's family we have all sorts of personalities, or as Pat Parelli says "horseanalities," some of them loveable, some of them not so much.


I'd love to hear from you if you think we're doing something wrong, if you think we're doing something right, or maybe you can help us solve some of the problems that are bound to arise when you share your life with a batch of misfit equines.

No comments: